Z SPACE’S RESIDENCY Programs
Z Space has two artist-focused residency programs: the Technical Development Residency and Free Space at Z Space.
Our Technical Development Residency provides artists with much needed technical and design resources at the crucial late-stage of new work development. Z Space is one of the very few institutions in the San Francisco Bay Area to offer late-stage residencies across all performance disciplines that includes access to space, a fully equipped theater, and technical personnel. This program is funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Each residency lasts one to two weeks, depending on the artist's goals and needs. All activities take place on our versatile main stage, featuring quality lighting, sound and projection equipment, and a 42-foot by 64-foot playing space. In addition to uninterrupted time to explore ideas, Z Space provides full technical staff support and project management and consultation with Z space senior staff on resource development and partnerships, as desired or warranted. Works-in-progress may be presented to the public, if the artist wishes, although residencies are not necessarily linked to public performances before premiering.
Technical Residencies are awarded by invitation only.
SOME PAST PARTICIPANTS OF Z SPACE’S TECHNICAL DEVELOPMENT RESIDENCY INCLUDE:
- Aaron Landsman (City Council Meeting)
- Chinaka Hodges
- Printz Dance Project
- Mugwumpin (The Great Big Also)
- Miranda Jones (The Precipice)
- University of Chichester UK
- The Bengsons (Hundred Days)
- Margo Hall and Marcus Shelby (Be Bop Baby: A Musical Memoir)
- LEVYdance (Comfort Zone)
- The Imaginists (Magic Circle Cycle)
- Bad Unkl Sista
- Sara Shelton Mann
- Sarah Wilson (Catch Me Bird)
- Amy Seiwert Imagery Dance
- Libby King (Patti and the Kid)
- Kim Epifano (Epiphany Dance)
- Joe Goode Performance Group (Wonderboy and 29 Effeminate Gestures, HUSH)
- Farah Shaikh (The Twentieth Wife)
- David Herrera (Touch)
- Youth Speaks (Spiritrials)
- Opera Parallele (Heart of Darkness)
- Cornerstone Theater Ensemble (California: The Tempest)
- Theatre Mitu (JUÁREZ: A Documentary Mythology)
- Peter Sinn Nachtrieb (A House Tour)
- Marc Bathmuti Joseph and Michael John Gárces (Pehlotah)
- Elevator Repair Service (ARGUENDO)
- The Kilbanes (Weightless)
- Evan Johnson (Barn Owl)
Free Space at Z Space
Formalized in 2018, the Free Space at Z Space program does what it says: provides free space. We focus on groups that are new to Z Space, do not own a space, and would benefit from 1-2 weeks in Z Below, our 85-seat black box.
If you are interested in being considered, please send a one-page letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 1, 2018. The letter should explain how you fit the above criteria, what project you will be bringing to Z Below, your intended audiences, and your ideal dates. We may follow up with demographic questions or to schedule a one-on-one interview.
Free Space at Z Space is generously supported by the Zellerbach Family Foundation and the Sam Mazza Foundation.